Ann Arbor Elementary 1 of 13 Blue Ribbon Schools in Michigan
ANN ARBOR, MI – Martin Luther King Elementary School of Ann Arbor Public Schools has been recognized as one of 13 Blue Ribbon National Schools in Michigan.
US Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona announced the 325 schools achieving nationwide status on Tuesday, September 21. Recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or on progress made in reducing achievement gaps among subgroups of students.
This is the second time King Elementary has received Blue Ribbon status, as it also won this honor in 2014. AAPS Superintendent Jeanice Swift said it was rare for schools to achieve this recognition twice. .
âWe are fortunate that the exemplary work of our teachers, staff and students at King Elementary School has been recognized with this prestigious national honor,â said Swift. âThis great honor confirms the exemplary work of our teachers and staff on a daily basis to ensure quality educational and enriching experiences, results and success for every student. Congratulations to King Elementary staff, students, parents and the community.
This year’s cluster of schools demonstrate what is possible when engaged educators and school leaders create vibrant, welcoming and empowering school cultures where rich teaching and learning can flourish, Cardona said.
âI congratulate all of our Blue Ribbon recipients for working to keep students healthy and safe while meeting their academic, social, emotional and mental health needs. In the face of unprecedented circumstances, you have found creative ways to engage, care for, protect and teach our children, âCardona said. âBlue Ribbon Schools have so much to offer and can serve as a model for other schools and communities so that we can truly build back better. “
Now in its 39th year, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has awarded approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,000 schools. Up to 420 schools can be nominated each year.
AAPS schools have been successful in receiving Blue Ribbon recognition in recent years, with Community High School receiving recognition in 2019 and Allen Elementary School and Angell and Wines Elementary Schools receiving the honor in 2017 and 2015, respectively.
The department recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup scores, and graduation rates.
Top Performing Exemplary Schools are among the best performing schools based on state assessments or nationally standardized tests.
Schools that close the gap in exemplary achievement are among the best performing schools at closing the gaps in achievement between groups of students in a school and all students.
Other Michigan schools named Blue Ribbon National Schools are:
- Avoca – Avoca Elementary School, Yale Public Schools
- Bloomfield Hills – Conant Elementary School, Bloomfield Hills School District.
- Caledonia – Dutton Elementary School, Caledonia Community School District.
- Dearborn – Haigh Elementary School, Dearborn City School District.
- Dearborn – Henry Ford Early College, Dearborn City School District.
- Douglas – Douglas Elementary School, Saugatuck Public Schools.
- Holland – Lakeshore Elementary School, West Ottawa Public Schools.
- Lake Orion – Webber Elementary School, Lake Orion Community School District.
- Marquette – Graveraet elementary school, Public school district of the Marquette region.
- Mason – Alaiedon Elementary School, Mason Public School District (Ingham).
- Troy – Barnard Elementary School, Troy School District.
- Troy – Leonard Elementary School, Troy School District.
New principals hired at Huron High, King Elementary
Ann Arbor Public Schools say elementary is safe from asbestos, with another being tested
Bus changes at Ann Arbor schools cause headaches for parents as school year approaches