FortiOS 7.2 enables organizations to protect their hybrid networks
Fortinet announced the release of FortiOS 7.2, the latest updates to its flagship operating system and the foundation of Fortinet Security Fabric.
More than 300 new features enhance Fortinet’s ability to converge security at every network edge, combined with the performance and scale needed to detect and prevent threats across an organization’s entire infrastructure.
Hybrid Networks and Business Demand Acceleration
Growing and scaling a digital business while protecting a distributed infrastructure has never been more critical or complex. Today’s networks are hybrid by design – distributed on premises, across multiple edges, and in the cloud – and they will continue to be the catalyst for digital acceleration. According to Brandon Butler, Research Manager, Enterprise Networks at IDC. “The network is fundamental to enable secure, scalable and efficient use of cloud, edge and IoT applications. Businesses today need hybrid networks, allowing applications and workflows to move seamlessly across every edge so that critical information is accessible by any user or device from any what place. The combined management of advanced networking and security becomes a powerful enabler of digital acceleration. »
FortiOS 7.2 delivers new AI-powered FortiGuard security services, enhancements to the only converged networking and security platform available today, and further consolidation of security point products across networks , endpoints and clouds.
These enhancements allow FortiOS to better protect today’s hybrid networks from a growing threat landscape, while helping businesses achieve digital acceleration.
New AI-powered FortiGuard security services
Fortinet’s rich suite of FortiGuard security services is powered by FortiGuard Labs and natively integrated into the Fortinet Security Fabric to provide automated and coordinated real-time security. FortiGuard services are powered by reliable machine learning and artificial intelligence models, informed by unified datasets powered by networks, endpoints, and clouds, rich independent research, and comprehensive industry collaboration. industry. In FortiOS 7.2, Fortinet expands its offering with several new services and enhancements to stop known and unknown threats faster and more effectively than ever before.
New services include:
- online sandbox: This innovation transforms a traditional detection sandbox capability into real-time, network-based prevention to stop known and unknown malware, with minimal impact to operations. The result is better ransomware protection compared to solutions that allow suspicious files to enter the network and then have to scan for malware once it’s been identified.
- Advanced device protection: This service automatically discovers and segments OT and IoT devices based on their unique network characteristics, maintains asset inventory, and uses pattern matching to apply appropriate policies and automate remediation. This service is offered on our NGFW solution and at the Edge LAN through integration with FortiNAC, including NAC playbooks that enable detection and response in proximity to the protected asset.
- Outbreak detection: Enables faster response to outbreak attacks with immediate alerts and threat hunting scripts that automatically identify and respond to new threats to provide SOC teams with faster time to detection and remediation.
- SOC as a Service: Free up SOC teams to focus on major executions by offloading all Tier 1 analytics to Fortinet’s global team of experts. This attached service is offered at a fixed price for NGFW deployments.
- Dedicated IPS: Designed for finance and other regulated deployments, this solution enables the migration of separate hardware to NGFW while preserving operations and compliance practices.
- CASB online: This new service for FortiGate NGFW integrates with FortiClient Fabric Agent to enable inline ZTNA traffic inspection and ZTNA posture verification.
Key enhancements to existing services include:
- Fabric evaluation: This service guides customers in the design, implementation and continuous improvement of their organization’s security posture, taking into account audit controls, identification of critical vulnerabilities and configuration weaknesses.
- Web Security: AI-driven URL, DNS, and video filtering services provide comprehensive threat protection to tackle various threats including ransomware, credential theft, phishing, and other threats. Other Web-borne Attacks.
Fortinet’s security-focused approach to networking is purpose-built for modern networking technologies at all network edges. This ensures that AI-powered security features can be integrated to enable secure digital acceleration. FortiOS 7.2 further unifies networking and security convergence across NGFW, SD-WAN, Edge LAN, 5G, ZTNA, and more. :
- SD-WAN: The industry’s most comprehensive secure SD-WAN solution now includes enhancements to further accelerate and automate overlay orchestration to simplify scaling global WAN architectures. With improved app analytics monitoring and the addition of Mean Opinion Score (MOS) for voice and video apps, organizations can easily measure the quality of an app’s experience to end users. .
- SD branch: The industry’s most comprehensive solution for securing the branch office from the WAN edge to the LAN edge includes 5G wireless WAN, SD-WAN, NGFW and LAN equipment in a single converged solution. FortiOS 7.2 introduces additional automated deployment and orchestration features to make setting up and managing global branch networks even simpler and more secure.
- LAN edge (switch and Wi-Fi): Secure the network by converging networking and security into a single solution that simplifies the secure integration of all types of devices. New integration features enable integrated device discovery to enable the implementation of “least privilege” access to the LAN edge without additional system overhead.
- NGFW: FortiOS 7.2 makes FortiGate the first next-generation firewall to support HTTP/3.0, providing increased visibility and protection for emerging HTTP standards that promise the speed and agility required by digital acceleration.
- Identity: Providing strong and flexible authentication options, Fortinet complements on-premises and VM-based FortiAuthenticator with new cloud-based authentication services ideal for cloud applications and resources. Combined with our new FIDO-based passwordless multi-factor authentication (MFA), Fortinet delivers easier-to-use and more secure authentication services to today’s hybrid environments.
- ZTNA: The only universal ZTNA application integrated into a next-generation firewall (appliance, VM or cloud) is available on all workplaces to enable true work from anywhere. And it’s now even easier to manage with a new unified policy configuration in a single GUI for every connection and ZTNA Service Portal enhancements.
- Micro-segmentation: Fortinet is expanding its Security Fabric segmentation and micro-segmentation capabilities to provide intent-based networking and east-west traffic control.
- Secure remote access – SASE: Provide secure private access to enterprise applications with ZTNA natively integrated into FortiSASE for a unified agent for endpoint protection and traffic redirection. Continuous validation of identity and context allows organizations to easily transition from implicit access to explicit per-application access for remote users to overcome traditional VPN challenges.
- Simplified and centralized management and monitoring: New enhancements simplify and automate the deployment of large deployments with improved zero-touch provisioning. They also enable deeper integration of AI for Network Operations (AIOps) with centralized management via FortiManager and Digital Experience Monitoring with FortiMonitor.
Continued consolidation of security point products across networks, endpoints and clouds
Fortinet continues to expand Fortinet Security Fabric’s ability to consolidate multiple security point products onto an ever-expanding attack surface.
- Improvements through the fabric: Additional upgrades across Fortinet’s entire portfolio of network, endpoint, and cloud solutions introduced in FortiOS 7.2 enhance the Fortinet Security Fabric and Fortinet’s ability to consolidate security products into a single platform. broad, integrated and automated form.
- Integration with one of the largest technology alliance ecosystems in the industry: The Fortinet Fabric-Ready Technology Alliance partner program brings together a community of global technology partners with specialized expertise. With over 480 integrations, customers can more easily build a platform of integrated solutions to improve security efficiency, reduce complexity and simplify operations.
Fortinet technology leader in the security industry
Fortinet leads the industry in cybersecurity innovation and offers the world’s most comprehensive portfolio of security solutions, backed by years of organic innovation developed at our key R&D centers in North America. and in Canada. With 1,255 granted patents, Fortinet has nearly 3 times more patents than comparable cybersecurity companies. Additionally, with a commitment to third-party validation, Fortinet subjects its products to unbiased performance and effectiveness testing with the industry’s most prominent organizations, with consistently positive results.
“Fortinet continues to push the boundaries of what is possible in convergent networking and security to enable customers and partners to compete safely and effectively in today’s digital marketplace. Networking and security can no longer be treated as separate policies. The present and the foreseeable future are made up of hybrid networks, and only with security at their core can these networks scale at the speed and scale needed to secure every edge. More than 20 years of prioritizing organic research and development has positioned Fortinet as the engine of cybersecurity innovation. And now, with the release of FortiOS 7.2, Fortinet is setting new industry standards for converged networking and security,” said John Maddison, EVP of Products and CMO at Fortinet.
FortiOS 7.2 is available now.