Job as Associate Professor in Nutritional Sciences at DEAKIN UNIVERSITY
- Based at our Burwood campus
- Full time and continuous
- Level D $153,058 – $168,353 + 17% superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide.
The School of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences is seeking to appoint an Associate Professor who will be expected to teach, undertake research, publish and attract funding in the field of Nutritional Sciences. Teaching will cover topics such as lifelong nutrition, food intake assessment, diet and lifestyle diseases and/or principles of nutrition.
We seek to build research capacity in human dietary interventions, focusing on food-based dietary trials and nutritional strategies for healthy aging and the prevention, treatment or management of chronic disease.
In addition to making an independent contribution to the teaching, research and development of the School’s programs, this position will promote the School and maintain links and partnerships with the academic, industrial and professional communities. relevant. The person named will become a member of the Institute of Physical Activity and Nutrition (IPAN)
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Apply knowledge of human dietary interventions for healthy aging and chronic disease prevention, treatment, or management in undergraduate learning experiences and resources and postgraduate student supervision.
- Lead teams of teachers in the areas of nutrition across the lifespan, assessing dietary intake, diet and lifestyle-related illnesses, and/or principles of nutrition to develop programs of effective units and courses and learning materials in a course
- Provide learner-centred and research-based teaching practices at different levels/modes of delivery
- Lead effective unit and course teaching teams and work collaboratively with other teaching teams within a course and/or across the faculty
- Lead the development of effective discipline-wide assessment tasks and rubrics within the School and lead the moderation of discipline-level assessment tasks and implement innovative practices to improve student achievement. learning
- Support diverse learners by designing accessible and inclusive course units and materials and practices
- Play a leading role in human dietary interventions focusing on food-based dietary trials and nutritional strategies for healthy aging and the prevention, treatment or management of chronic disease
- Develop and lead partnerships and collaborations to enable major breakthroughs, innovative solutions for future translation into real impact
- Develop and increasingly lead intra and interdisciplinary research collaborations to enable major breakthroughs in knowledge, understanding and solutions to complex problems in nutritional science.
- Engage in and increasingly develop and lead academic and other collaborations that enable new, high quality, and highly impactful research in nutritional science.
- Demonstrate a sustained national and international reputation as an emerging global leader in human interventions focused on food trials and nutritional strategies for healthy aging and the prevention, treatment and management of chronic nutritional diseases.
- Recruit and supervise HDR students with timely completions and production of high quality results
Main selection criteria for this role:
- PhD in Nutrition Sciences
- Successful track record in securing competitive funding, particularly in human dietary interventions focused on food trials and nutritional strategies for healthy aging and the prevention, treatment or management of chronic diseases.
- Successful research and publication experience in top academic journals, particularly in human dietary interventions focusing on dietary trials and nutritional strategies for healthy aging and the prevention, treatment or management of chronic disease.
- Significant experience in supervising doctoral students in nutrition sciences
- Experience working as a productive member of a research team with a research- or practice-based scholarly publication record.
- A record of achievement in contributing to undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programs in a way that influences, motivates and inspires students to learn.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and administer assessment regimes and provide feedback that promotes independent learning.
- Demonstrated experience or ability to develop programs and resources that reflect an understanding of nutrition across the lifespan, measuring dietary intake, diet and lifestyle-related illnesses, and/or the principles of nutrition.
- Knowledge of multiple literacies and experience teaching effectively in a contemporary, technology-enhanced higher education environment.
- Experience in the effective administration of university programs.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to the development and maintenance of partnerships with professional associations and with national educational institutions.
- Demonstrated commitment to equal opportunity principles and practices and occupational health and safety.
- Active participation in relevant committees or councils
- Eligible for membership in Dietitians Australia and as an Accredited Practicing Dietitian (APD)
- Eligible for Nutrition Society of Australia membership and Registered Nutritionist status.
Applications for this position are closed November 7, 2022
Successful applicants will be required to comply with any vaccination mandates imposed by the applicable state or territory government. Applicants who use third-party sites to undertake academic activities will also be required to comply with any other guidelines or requirements in effect at the third-party site.
- Frequent/regular/infrequent travel will be required, describe in more detail (e.g. interstate or overseas travel is required or regular travel within Victoria excluding campuses)
- Driver’s license
- Working with children Check (see recruitment procedure)
Please submit your curriculum vitae, a short cover letter and your answers to the main selection criteria.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Brad Aisbett, Head of School, at [email protected]
Are you ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation rests on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse work environment with opportunities for growth and career development. We believe a progressive and thriving culture will ensure people choose to come and stay with Deakin and contribute to our continued success.
We value diversity and aim to create an inclusive environment that defends, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, as well as people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientations and genders.
We understand that our academic staff is increasingly diverse and we recognize that academic careers can be put on hold in many life circumstances. Accomplishments versus Opportunities emphasizes the quality rather than the quantity of research output. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements in relation to the opportunity.